Monday, December 3, 2007

The Oval

I'm not a very good skater and I never have been, but for some reason I decided to go skating this afternoon. Aside from the constant ache of my feet that started about 7 minutes after my blades touched the ice, and the initial realization that all the other people there were either couples or parents with their three-year-olds, it was really nice to feel myself glide across the ice again. And no, I don't mean feel my ass glide across the ice after I fall flat (I didn't do that this time!). It was like anything else after a while, just me and the ice. It was really neat, all I had to do was think about not skating into anyone and that was it! Nothing else was in my head at all. It was bliss...

Of course, this reverie usually only lasted about 4 minutes, about at which time some hockey player, speed skating champion, or figure skater up for the Olympics would pass me while showing off for whoever he or she (but usually a he) was with. I then had one minute to get back into the zone, and four minutes to stay there.

If I was smart (rather than a dumbass), I would have thought of this sooner.
Live and Learn I guess.

No comments: