Monday, April 14, 2008

construction site

There is a man with a jackhammer
who thinks he is making improvements to the base of my skull.
It's hard to convince him
that my head is fragile and I like it just the way it is.

There are two men with shovels
trying to dig their way out through my eyes.
They don't believe me
when I tell them that now I can't even see.

Between my eyes there is just one man
who stands hammering a nail through bone.
Begging never works to get him to stop
he is determined to completely reconstruct my face.

And finally the two men with axes
who deforest the brain matter around my ears.
They don't even hear me when I beg
or notice when I shut out the light.
More determined than all the rest,
they refuse refuse to leave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that an actual image of your head? Looks painful.

Erin said...

Haha, ya that was pretty painful. I was hoping writing about it would make it go away.

Anonymous said...

Next time think about hockey players. I heard that helps with a headache.